Adult Cat Care
Our Adult Cat Wellness Exams are Comprehensive!
A regular exam benefits your cat in a number of ways. Using information obtained from an exam, we establish a complete health profile for your cat. This information is used when administering vaccines, preparing anesthesia for surgery and diagnosing your cat should other health conditions arise. Preventive care and examinations help us find, diagnose and treat health problems before they become serious and more difficult to treat.
Our annual comprehensive preventative medicine exam includes:
- Thorough “nose-to-tail” physical examination.
- Lab work and fecal checks. The blood test includes full chemistry panel and complete blood count. The blood test may identify the presence of an underlying disease. Fecal check tests for internal parasites and regular dewormings (if necessary) are the best way to prevent parasitic disease.
- A dental exam. Dental disease is the most common disease with over 80% of cats having some dental disease. Dental care is very important for your cat’s overall health, especially as he or she gets older. Please read more about dental disease on our dental care page.
- Vaccinations. Vaccinations are a key part of keeping your cat healthy by protecting your cat against infectious diseases. Many diseases and conditions can be prevented with modern vaccines and protocols. Even indoor-only cats should be vaccinated against common diseases. Vaccination recommendations are based on the lifestyle of the cat: age, amount of time outdoors, exposure to new cats, etc. Vaccination schedules are tailored to your individual cat, so your veterinarian will ask questions about your cat’s lifestyle to be sure we recommend a suitable program.
- Recommendations for parasite prevention and control. External and internal parasites can cause preventable disease. We will discuss with you the medications we recommend to keep your cat protected from these diseases. Fleas are more than an annoyance for your cat--they can be transmission agents for numerous preventable diseases and can infest your home.
- Microchipping. Even if your cat remains indoors most of the time, reliable cat identification, including an ID tag/collar and a microchip, can help your cat return home safely should the unthinkable happen. Microchipping is a safe, effective way to help identify your cat. Please visit our microchipping page for more information about microchipping your cat.
- Nutritional Advice Your cat’s wellness exam is the perfect time to discuss your cat’s nutritional needs with us. Your cat needs balanced nutrients and access to fresh water. By understanding a few simple concepts, you can accurately evaluate the label on any pet food. The only accurate information about a cat food is on the label of the container or package. You should ignore anything outside of the product information panel, because that information is for marketing purposes only. Factors for determining the correct food for your cat include weight, body condition, life stage and overall health. We will be happy to assess your cat’s food with you so that your cat is receiving optimal nutrition during each different stage of life.
- Weight Management. Obesity may occur at any age, but is most commonly occurs in cats in middle age. If your pet is overweight, you can do many things to help him get back into shape. Speaking with us is the first place to start. For some cats, feeding a diet formulated for weight loss and carefully selecting lower calories treats can help. Learning the correct amount of food your cat needs and increasing exercise as appropriate may be helpful, too.
- Behavioral Advice. We will be happy to discuss your cat’s behaviors, daily activity and exercise habits. If your cat’s behavior has changed, please let us know. Some behaviors indicate that a cat is not feeling well. We will work with you to determine if the cause of the problem is medical or behavioral and then work on an individualized treatment plan. Please let us know how we may help!
- Recommendations for possible additional diagnostic testing.
Please call us today to schedule a wellness exam for your cat so that your cat will be protected.