Spay & Neuter Facts
We recommend that all pets should be spayed or neutered at 6 months of age.
Benefits For Female Pets:
- Eliminates estrus (heat).
- Prevents blood stains on carpet from the “heat” cycle.
- Decreases surplus of puppies and kittens.
- Decreases the chance of developing breast tumors later in life.
- Decreases the chance of cystic ovaries and uterine infections later in life.
- Prevents breast development if done before breeding age.
Benefits For Male Pets:
- Decreases the desire to roam the neighborhood.
- Decreases aggression and territorialism.
- Decreases incidence of several types of cancer later in life.
- Prevents perineal hernias.
- Prevents odor of male cat urine.
- Prevents male cat spraying and prevents urine marking by male dogs.
Your community will also benefit!
Unwanted animals are becoming a very real concern. Stray animals can easily become public nuisances; soiling parks and streets, ruining shrubs, frightening children or elderly people, creating noise and other disturbances, causing automobile accidents, and sometimes even killing livestock or other pets. As a potential source of rabies and other diseases, they can become a public health hazard. The capture, impoundment, and eventual destruction of unwanted animals will cost taxpayers millions of dollars each year.
Facts About Spaying/Neutering:
Spaying does not cause a pet to get fat or lazy. This comes from overfeeding and poor exercise. Personalities are not altered by spaying. Personalities do not fully develop until two years of age. Aggressiveness and viciousness are not the result of surgery. Personalities will ONLY get better! Surgical risk is very slight due to modern anesthesia and techniques. It is much easier on the pet to be spayed before going through a “heat” cycle, due to the smaller size of the reproductive tract. Surgery is performed painlessly while your pet is under general anesthesia.
Benefits of Laser Surgery
At Montrose Animal Hospital we do surgeries with laser. What does this mean for your pet?
Laser energy seals nerve endings as it moves through tissue. Your pet feels less pain post-operatively.
The laser seals small blood vessels during surgery which allows your doctor to perform surgeries with extraordinary precision. This also speeds procedures, reducing the duration of anesthesia.
Laser surgery does not crush, tear or bruise because only a beam of intense light contacts the tissue.
CONSULT OUR CLINIC AT 770-977-9000 IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT SPAYING OR NEUTERING YOUR PET.